Michelle Obama is putting out a rap album. Go ahead. Rub your eyes as much as you want, but what you just read isn’t going to change. Yes, Michelle Obama, the First Lady of the United States of America, is releasing a rap album next month.
It’s not a response to the Lil Debbie and Riff Raff track “Michelle Obama” (although taking a moment to imagine if it was is quite fun), but instead an extension of her “Let’s Move!” campaign to help fight America’s growing obesity problem. First guesses as to who would be featured naturally include Beyoncé, Jay-Z, Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys, or even Paul McCartney considering they’ve all played for them before. Instead, Mrs. Obama has rounded up quite a curious crew to join her on the album, though, which includes none of the aforementioned names.
The album, called Songs for a Healthier America, includes 19 hip-hop and R&B songs that will be distributed throughout major cities to encourage kids to get up and dance. Artists featured on the album include Run DMC, Doug E Fresh, Jordin Sparks, and Ashanti – but the First Lady won’t actually be singing on anything.
Michelle Obama has come a long way since she began her “Let’s Move!” campaign. It seems Beyoncé‘s music video to help endorse it didn’t get us active enough, and it’s going to take presidential status to get kids moving. Go America.
Songs for a Healthier America tracklist:
1. Everybody (ft. Jordin Sparks, Doug E Fresh, Ryan Beatty, Artie Green, Dr Oz and the Hip-Hop Doc)
2. U R What You Eat (feat. Salad Bar (Matisyahu, Ariana Grande, Travis Barker))
3. Let’s Move (ft. Doug E Fresh, Artie Green, Chauncey Hawkins, Easy AD)
4. Just Believe (ft. Ashanti, Gerry Gunn, Artie Green, Robbie Nova, Chauncey Hawkins)
5. Veggie Luv (ft. Monifah and J Rome)
6. Hip-Hop FEET (Finding Exercise Energy Thresholds) (ft. DMC, Artie Green, and Chauncey Hawkins)
7. Stronger (ft. Shayna Steele, Jeremy Jordan, Our Time, Nils Lofgren)
8. Give Myself A Try (ft. Ryan Beatty)
9. Jump Up (It’s a Good Day) Let’s Move Version’ (ft. Brady Rymer and the Little Band That Could)
10. Hip Hop LEAN (ft. Artie Green)
11. Pass the Rock (ft. Iman Schumpert and Artie Green)
12. Good Living (ft. Ashton Jones)
13. Beautiful (ft. Daisy Grant and Artie Green)
14. Change the Game (ft. The Happiness Club and Naledge)
15. Wanna Jump (Let’s Move) (ft. Paul Burch and WPA Ballclub)
16. Mother May I? (ft. Amelia Robinson)
17. We Like Vegetables (ft. Los Barkers!)
18. Get Up Sit Up (ft. Ian James and Ricky Baitz)
19. One Step Forward (ft. Samite)